A creative comms approach
I’m Hel Reynolds and I run a creative comms business called Social For The People, to help communicators boost their creativity.
I’ve learned that even though I take the role and work of communications very seriously, it pays to try new and fun ways to build relationships and boost your organisation’s reputation.
Past TV and conference appearances
My comms background
I first started using social media in local government in back in 2007 with a MySpace page dedicated to getting people to help a council restore a town hall.
I’m the person behind many fun digital communications projects designed to be shared and talked about, like this campaign about dog poo or this social media response to snowy weather or this ‘learn as you do’ approach to a budget consultation on YouTube.
In February 2016, I was delighted to be appointed to the Guardian’s 2016 Public Leaders editorial board, to advise on the the most important issues facing public services.
More about me:
- An interview in the Guardian: ‘Meet the social media guru who makes Monmouthshire rock’
- A Gov2.0 Radio podcast on my work: ‘When ROI + Return on Influence’
- Coup Media profile: ‘Social Media trailblazers: Helen Reynolds’
In July 2014, I won the local government award in the Digital Leader 100 Awards which honours government digital professionals. Social For The People, was also on the list in the start up category in 2014 and came second in the SME category in 2016.
In 2014, I came in at number one on the Top 50 Social Media PowerPlayers in UK Housing list.
* Highly commended in The UK Blog Awards 2017 with my comms cartoons website.
* Winner of the Digital Leaders 100 in the local government category
* WINNER of three awards at the Somecomms social media awards 2011:
- Best use of YouTube
- The innovation award
- Best in-house team
* Shortlisted for ‘best social media campaign’ and ‘best community engagement’ at Somecomms 2011
* Finalist in the Computer Weekly Social Media Awards 2011 with three entries in the category ‘public sector’
* Finalist at the UK Public Sector Digital Awards 2011 in the ‘best use of social media’ category
* Longlisted: Wales Blog Awards in the category ‘best community blog’ for this blog (October 2011)
* Shortlisted: three awards at the first Somecomms social media awards (December 2010):
- Best use of Twitter
- Public sector
- Best in-house team
* Highly Commended: CIPR Local Public Services Digital Communications Award 2010
* Shortlisted: CIPR Local Public Services Young Communicator of the Year Award 2010
* Team shortlisting: CIPR Local Public Services Crisis Communications Award 2010
Get in touch by email on email@example.com or on Twitter @HelReynolds or @socialforpeople.I first started using social media in local government in back in 2007 with a MySpace page dedicated to getting people to help a council restore a town hall.